CCPortal
DOI10.1016/j.atmosres.2021.105807
Photochemical aging process on PM2.5 bound PAHs emission from solid fuel combustion in traditional and improved stoves
Zhang Y.; Sun J.; Zou H.; Zhang B.; Yang D.; Wang Q.; Li J.; Qu L.; Ho S.S.H.; Cao J.; Shen Z.
Date Issued2021
ISSN0169-8095
Volume263
Other AbstractSolid fuels are widely used as energy sources in the developing countries across the world. In this study, emissions of primary and secondary (i.e., photochemically aged) parent polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (p-PAHs) and their derivate from a variety of solid fuel burning were determined through a potential aerosol mass-oxidation flow reactor (PAM-OFR). The improved technology stoves showed reductions of 61.2–66.8% to the primary and secondary EFs of the total quantified PAHs (tPAHs) in comparison to the traditional stoves. In addition, the primary and secondary EFs of the tPAHs for the anthracite coal and maize straw charcoal were 80.9–88.7% and 19.4–51.6%, respectively, lower than those of the raw bituminous coal and maize straw briquette. Results demonstrated that the total p-PAHs and alkylated PAHs decreased for ~20% and ~ 50% after the 2- and 7- equivalent aged days, respectively, whereas the total oxygenated- and nitro-PAHs (i.e., o-PAHs and n-PAHs) had increases of ~30% and ~ 80%, respectively. Significant formations of carbonyl functional group in the aged samples were confirmed by the Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, well consistent to the increases of EFs of the oxygenated species (e.g., o-PAHs). Unique diagnostic ratios for the o-PAHs and n-PAHs including 3 N-FLA/(3 N-FLA + 1 N-PYR) (> 0.2 for coal, < 0.2 for biomass) and 1,3DN-PYR/(1,3DN-PYR + 1,6DN-PYR) (>0.5 for coal; <0.5 for biomass) were discovered and firstly reported to differentiate the emissions from the solid fuels. Even though the aged total emission of benzo[a]pyrene equivalent factors decreased by 26.0–34.0%, the secondary atmospheric formations of more toxic derivatives of o-PAHs and n-PAHs are given to be a high concern. The findings of this study could assist in refining the speciated emission inventories and in evaluating the chronic and acute health risks. The results could also evidence that the advanced heating technology is an effective measure in the emission control of toxic organic substances. © 2021 Elsevier B.V.
enkeywordsAdvanced heating technology; Emission factors; PAHs; PAM-OFR; Solid fuels; Toxicity
journalAtmospheric Research
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://gcip.llas.ac.cn/handle/2XKMVOVA/236605
AffiliationDepartment of Environmental Science and Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, 710049, China; State Key laboratory of Loess and Quaternary Geology, Institute of Earth Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xi'an, 710049, China; Hong Kong Premium Services and Research Laboratory, Hong Kong, Hong Kong; Division of Atmospheric Sciences, Desert Research Institute, Reno, Nevada, 89512, United States; National Institute of Natural Hazards, Ministry of Emergency Management of China, Beijing, 100085, China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Zhang Y.,Sun J.,Zou H.,et al. Photochemical aging process on PM2.5 bound PAHs emission from solid fuel combustion in traditional and improved stoves[J],2021,263.
APA Zhang Y..,Sun J..,Zou H..,Zhang B..,Yang D..,...&Shen Z..(2021).Photochemical aging process on PM2.5 bound PAHs emission from solid fuel combustion in traditional and improved stoves.Atmospheric Research,263.
MLA Zhang Y.,et al."Photochemical aging process on PM2.5 bound PAHs emission from solid fuel combustion in traditional and improved stoves".Atmospheric Research 263(2021).
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Zhang Y.]'s Articles
[Sun J.]'s Articles
[Zou H.]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Zhang Y.]'s Articles
[Sun J.]'s Articles
[Zou H.]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Zhang Y.]'s Articles
[Sun J.]'s Articles
[Zou H.]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.